6.06.2012

Religion and privateness

I'm not even sure at this moment if  'privateness' is a word. I'm thinking not. Well it is four in the morning and I went to bed at 8 and here I am awake. The night hours are a precious time to spend with the Lord. I was thinking about this afternoon's lunch time discussion that arose over churches. One co-worker shared about her daughter getting baptised at age 10 and how her husband who was Catholic and she is not, but goes I guess with him sometimes? It all sounded rather empty. How he put off getting this done after all these years. Weird. Why would a ten year old be baptized (sprinkling). Well it is mere tradition. Not a step of following Jesus example of baptism. Which was complete immersion. That is for a whole different reason. That is what baptism is about according to God's word.

But according to the mainline denominations in many churches this is a step to be a member of a organization (woops I meant to type church). Another co-worker was sharing how she was no longer Catholic but chose a different church and still claimed to be Catholic. I thought that odd. Why would one leave a  particular denomination because of differing beliefs then continue to name themselves the same as before? Anyway that came up further into the discussion which ended flatly after I inquired why she chose a new church. The whole table topic was regarding 'confirmation' and entrance to the 'churches.' I noticed several disgruntled members who didn't seem at all happy or alive about their religion. As I sat there not quite knowing how to raise some thoughts after asking why the one person changed churches I took it no further. I felt puzzled. I also felt a wall. It was very evident it was a personal feeling, yet she did open the door. Hmmm. How to take this subject and go further I find very difficult. The religious leaders of Jesus day would also be adhering to rules and traditions without the heartfelt depth and passion of their course. It is a sad thing. I pray I have a better opportunity at some point to share? So many I am surrounded by seem unhappy in their churches and it comes as  no surprise to me. It is about money, as the one spoke. Or about 'show.' I just wonder what is going on down in the heart? These types of discussions almost seem like we're sharing about the stock market, or a raise we got, or a new car. There is no passion or true excitement for what really happened. My point is what is religion suppose to be about? True religion is about the Father, God. How He sent Jesus to live, experience, and die for our sins. As a replacement for us -- who are the ones who deserve death and eternal separation from His glorious presence. He Made A  Way For Us!

No comments:

Post a Comment